9 Choices That Redefine What It Takes to Create Lifelong Vitality and Well-Being
by Rick Foster and Greg Hicks
with Jen Seda, MD
A Perigee Book (Penguin), 2008. 258 pages.
I was so impressed by the authors’ earlier book, How We Choose to Be Happy, I ordered this one from Amazon rather than waiting for the library to purchase it.
Like the book on happiness, the authors interview healthy individuals and show nine choices those people have made that led to their good health. They also tie this information in with medical studies that show the physical benefits of these concepts. The book is full of these healthy people’s stories, illustrating the choices that lead to health.
And the choices that lead to happiness are the same ones that lead to health. The chapter headings in Part Two give you the idea:
1. Intention: Change the pathways of your brain with your thoughts.
2. Accountability: Take control of your health by triumphing over the “Victim Brain.”
3. Identification: Envision your joys and passions and tell vibrant stories about them.
4. Centrality: Do the things you love to alter your biochemistry.
5. Recasting: Convert the sadness, fear, anger, and despair of trauma and illness into meaning, opportunity, and action.
6. Options: Create hope and resilience by uncovering hidden possibilities.
7. Appreciation: Value your life and your body, and express appreciation to others.
8. Giving: Build a thriving Marketplace of Giving.
9. Truth: Tell the truth to your body, yourself, and others.
The authors say of these ideas:
“Brilliant Health doesn’t promise a disease-free, pain-free, un-aging life. Let’s face it; sooner or later health and age-related issues will visit all of us. But whether we’re in mint physical condition or facing a disability or a significant, even terminal health issue, Brilliant Health brings us the highest possible emotional and physical quality of life.”
With a promise like that, these ideas are definitely worth listening to.
Find this review on Sonderbooks at: www.sonderbooks.com/Nonfiction/choosing_brilliant_health.html
Disclosure: I am an Amazon Affiliate, and will earn a small percentage if you order a book on Amazon after clicking through from my site.